Contributing to Source Mage
There are four areas in which you may "belong" for contributing to Source Mage GNU/Linux:
- Unofficial Developer
- Official Developer
- Official Lead
- Official Team Lead
Being an Unofficial Developer is the easiest and least intensive, while the others become progressively more time consuming. Most Official Developers will start out as Unoffical Developers and then either ask or be asked by an Official Team Lead to join the team they feel they'd most enjoy/benefit.
All code developed by/for Source Mage GNU/Linux is licensed under the GPL.
All documentation written by/for Source Mage GNU/Linux is licensed under the FDL.
Here is a list of requirements/duties if you're thinking of contributing to Source Mage GNU/Linux and your status.
Official Lead (Lead)
Official Team Lead (Component Lead)
The Project Lead (PL) is responsible for the following:
- Maintain cohesion between the various Team Leads
- Schedule and preside over developer meetings
- Initiate and administer public votes for Source Mage GNU/Linux
- Promote Source Mage GNU/Linux to news organizations, magazines, and websites
- Maintain the Roadmap
- Forward appropriate Team announcements to the proper channels
- Maintain contacts with popular news sites that accept our announcements (DistroWatch, OSNews, Slashdot, LWN, magazines, etc.)
- Announce team releases (Sorcery and Cauldron mainly) to news sites
- Work with the Tome Team to keep our website "schnazzy"
The Sorcery Lead (SL) will be responsible for the following:
- Manage the Sorcery Team to produce timely and stable Sorcery releases
- Maintain Sorcery release tarballs and send out announcements (the Project Lead will forward stable release announcements to various news sources) as well as maintaining the following information:
The Grimoire Lead (GL) will be responsible for the following:
- Recruit capable users to fill in section guruships as well as general guruship
- Maintain Grimoire documentation
- Maintain Grimoire Roadmap
- Maintain Spellbook
- Setup and maintain a system to system-test each "release" of the stable grimoire
- Organize groups to test grimoires, ISOs, Sorcery, and documentation accuracy
- Keep abreast of security issues and make sure Source Mage GNU/Linux is not vulnerable
- Monitor or subscribe to at least these mailing lists (email@example.com should be already subscribed to them):
The Cauldron Lead (CL) will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain ISO releases and send out announcements as well as maintaining the following information:
The Tome Lead (TL) will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain our websites, keep them up-to-date, and close security vulnerabilities
- Maintain documentation accuracy