Version 4 (David Kowis, 07/07/2011 01:13 am)
h1. About Source Mage GNU/Linux
Source Mage is a source-based GNU/Linux distribution based on a Sorcery metaphor of "casting" and "dispelling" programs, which we refer to as "spells", and a package manager called "Sorcery". Our packages are designed to allow the user to customize the package any way they want (custom CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, ./configure flags, etc.) as well as offering as many of the package options as possible to the user up-front (you will not need to know what options a package has or what optional dependencies it can use ahead of time). All of our scripts are GPL'd and our package manager and packages are written in Bash, so they are easy to learn and modify. Sorcery supports custom packages maintained by users, which can override the default package and will never be touched by updates. The magic is truly in your hands with Source Mage.
We are currently pre-1.0, and developing quickly. If you need help, or just want to chat with us, you may try our mailing lists or IRC, where most of our discussions take place, so please feel free to subscribe and join in.
See [[Developers|a list of our intrepid developers]], or view other important pages about our project:
* [[SocialContract|Social Contract]]
* [[OurHistory|Our History]]
* [[ContactUs|Contact Us]]
* [[GlossaryOfTerms|Glossary of Terms]]
* [[Developers|Source Mage Developers]]
* [[DeveloperOrganization|Developer Organization]]
* [[VotingPolicy|Voting Policy]]
* [[KeySigning|Key Signing]]
* "Issue Tracker":http://sourcemage.org/projects/source-mage/issues
* [[NewToSourceMage|New to Source Mage]]?